Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wikis

Until now, Wikipedia was the only wiki I had anything to do with. I have used it as a starting point for information, and notice that it seems to have more 'cred' nowadays than it did at first. I like the fact that it's quick, and the links to further pages are useful.

I looked at the suggested wikis and can see that some attract more contributors than others. In my wider search I found some that seem to be petering out. Then there's Wookieepedia, with lots of (fanatical?) activity. Clearly a wiki that invites open collaboration is more likely to have strong support if its content appeals to the techno generation. It might be a while before a wiki on gardening is as keenly followed as a Star Wars one.

I saw the wikis set up for short term use, such as for Conference attendees, and The State Library of New York even has a New Tech Wiki about wikis. Really it's so the SUNY Libraries can write about how they use wikis ( and blogs, RSS etc), but a wiki about wikis is catchier. I still hesitate about how much time at a computer all this collaborating, contributing and posting comments takes - if I was Gen Y, though, it wouldn't take me so long...

Then I saw the NSW Travelling Pants Project wiki . Now that wiki makes sense! A great way to keep up with arrangements and to share information, inspiration and ideas across a number of libraries. This would also work for Library Lovers Day and the Summer Reading Program. I can also see that Local Studies wikis would allow people in the community to tell their stories, but they would need support (e.g. allow contributions by email), to encourage people who are not techno-savvy to participate.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Some great thoughts here on wikis and libraries.

Glad you're having fun with Learning 2.0.

Victoria