Monday, March 31, 2008

Del.icio.us, Technorati and LibraryThing

I can see the benefit of using del.icio.us for Libraries. It gives us the capacity to link to websites selected by library staff from the library website, but also accessible from, and organised by Delicious (see Sutherland Shire Libraries, Thunder Bay Public Library, Cleveland Public Library Recommended Bookmarks); the speed and ease with which sites can be tagged; the ability to see related sites tagged by others; and the universal web access. I like the fact that you can add a site and organise it soooo quickly.


Not so fussed about Technorati. I found the results pages busy and confusing to a beginner, with vastly different results on my 'bookmobile' search on different days. Doubtful there was a huge increase/decrease in blogs tagging bookmobiles to cause the difference. Results were almost identical for 'bookmobile' search and advanced search. I found some tagged nswpln2008 blogs.

LibraryThing really appeals to me. Is that because it's useful or just because I like looking at books? Not sure. It was quick and easy to use, and adding the bookcovers was a breeze. Would I bother to put my personal book collection on it? Probably not, but it's fun to see what's on LibraryThing. The reviews of Matthew Reilly's Ice Station are hilarious.

I can see that it make an easy-to-use tool for clubs and other small organisations to 'catalogue' their collections. As for libraries, it depends on the extent of local uptake. I read about LibraryThing for Libraries that allows for LibraryThing data, such as aggregate tag data and recommendations, to be imported into library catalogs. I'd like to see some of those funny reviews in our library catalogue!

.

No comments: