Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Video

Until now I've only used YouTube to look at funny videos, and then only because it was a 'must see' video that everyone was talking about. In the last week I have explored Learning 2.0's suggestions, spent way too much time going off on tangents, and used up my monthly download limit in one day. I confess I took malicious delight in the video ninja librarian, who took terrible revenge on the student using his mobile in the library!

Mostly what I saw were short films posted by people who clearly got a buzz out of making them and showing them off to a wider audience - video as entertainment. I saw that Mosman Library's author talks are on Google video but not on YouTube, because of Google's longer playing time. As for Library uses for this video sharing, Libraries could post their author talks, and as more people embrace video-sharing Local Studies Librarians could invite people to make video local histories/oral histories, and encourage a world-wide audience to contribute to the area's local history.

My Gen-Y colleague assures me that she would use the Internet to watch an author talk that she had missed out on seeing, whereas I probably wouldn't bother. Although maybe I would bother if it was Markus Zusak. Here's a glimpse of him speaking Portuguese.

No comments: